Welcome, Bienvenidos!

Sea of Cortez




Although I like to paint, I also get inspiration from other sources. Often it is a combination of colors, textures, sounds, stories etc. all from unlikely sources not even related to what I do. But something clicks in my brain and I enter everything in one of my journal sketchbooks for later.
There is a book called The Girl of the Sea of Cortez by Peter Benchley who's story has haunted my memories for years. The story is a simple one, yet the images conjured up by the story and my imagination have manifested into paintings of mystical mermaids, beings and magical places in the sea.
After only two exhilarating snorkeling experiences I felt drawn to the sea. So I paint and draw through DVDs, books and zoo observation until I can go again!
Here are a few playful seals, and a mysterious mermaid in graphite miniatures - size 3" x 4". There is also a Kelp mermaid and a magical sea turtle in my reverse glass painting albums.

No comments: